(I'm on a bit of a blogging roll. This is my second post of the day and I did three post yesterday.)
...
Earlier this summer I was searching for chapter books I could read out loud to Lexi.
...
Earlier this summer I was searching for chapter books I could read out loud to Lexi.
While searching the web, I discovered the Magic Tree House series.
I had never heard of them before but they had amazing reviews online and I like the story line.
So I put the first few books on hold at the library.
Each book is 10 chapters and about 60 pages long. It takes me about 30 minutes to read one to Lexi.
And almost always reading them in one sitting. She never wants me to stop in the middle.
She LOVES them!
...
The books are about an eight year old boy named Jack and his seven year old sister named Annie.
They live in a small town in Pennsylvania.
One day while they were playing in the woods by their house
they discovered a tree house filled with books.
If say that they wish to go to the place in the book the magic tree house will take them there.
Later they discovered that the tree house belongs to Morgan le Fay.
She's King Arthur's sister. She's a magical librarian for Camelot.
She goes to through time collecting books for her library.
After Jack and Annie complete four challenges they become master librarians too
and help Morgan collect books throughout time and around the world.
...
What I love about these books is that Lexi is learning so much.
In Jack and Annie's adventures they travel all around the world and through time.
Lexi has learned about dinosaurs, outer space, ancient Egypt and Rome.
We've learned about ancient Greece and the Olympics.
We've read about the Vikings, pirates, ninjas, ancient China, the wild west, the savannah in Africa.
We've learned about the rainforest and dolphins and sharks and so many other things.
Some of the books have a companion book that goes along with them
called Fact Tracker or Research Guide.
These books are each a little over 100 pages and take me about 50 minutes to read to Lexi.
They expound on the things that we learned in the magic tree house book.
...
Yesterday I read two books to Lexi.
(She sat still and listened for an hour and 20 minutes.)
(She sat still and listened for an hour and 20 minutes.)
We read about the Titanic.
Lexi and I both got emotional and wear holding back the tears.
It's such a sad story.
(Every time I try to upload this picture, Blogger turns in on it's side. So you'll have to turn your head.)
After we read a book, Lexi and I go online to the Magic Tree House website.
There we answer questions about the book and earn stamps for our passport.
There we answer questions about the book and earn stamps for our passport.
(Excuse the poor quality pictures.)
We have a few research guides that we still have to go back and read.
That's why there are empty spots.
That's why there are empty spots.
We weren't reading them when we first started the series.
And here are the next six books we have to read.
There is a research guide for the book on the revolutionary war and the book about tornadoes.
I would recommend these books to moms for boys and girls.
I think I'll read them to my other kids when they are older.
And maybe Lexi will go back and read them to herself someday.
...
I now what to buy Lexi a map to put on the wall to mark all the places we've read about.
No comments:
Post a Comment