Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Ty's Seizure and Ambulance Ride

On Thursday April 18th, we had a normal day.
The weather was nice and the kids stayed outside playing until nearly dark.
I brought Ty in and took him straight up to the bath.
When I undressed him, I noticed that he was shivering and his body felt warm.
That was the first sign that he wasn't feeling well.
(Although he was acting completely normal all day.)
After his bath, I tried to feed him dinner.
I had to spoon feed him. I just thought it was because he was so tired from playing all day.
That night he slept HORRIBLE!
After he woke up the first time, I gave him Tylenol.
After he woke up the second time, he wouldn't stop crying unless I held him.
Eventually I brought him into bed with us.
He had to be touching me all night or he'd cry.
(Sean took this picture of us on the morning of Friday April 19th.)


All morning Ty was lifeless.
He wouldn't eat or move.
He either sat in this bean bag chair or in my arms.


He was shivering so bad that it shook his whole body.
It was so hard to watch. Sean suggested that I give him a heated rice bag.
So I did.



Around 11:30ish that morning Ty had a seizure.
I actually wasn't even in the room when it started.
I left Ty on the bean bag chair while Avery watched him.
I had stepped outside to talk to Lexi for a minute.
Avery came outside screaming that Ty was going to throw up.
I ran inside and as soon as I saw Ty I knew he wasn't going to throw up.
His whole body was shaking. I knew he was having a seizure.
I had never seen anyone have a seizure before. It was horrifying.
I quickly picked Ty up, even though I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that.
I started screaming for Sean. He luckily was working from home that day.
As soon as he came upstairs and saw Ty, he ran and got his phone and called 911.
I yelled at all the kids to go outside because I didn't want them to see Ty like that or see me bawling.
The seizure lasted about a minute but it felt like forever.
When it was over, Ty's eyes rolled in the back of his head and he wouldn't make eye contact.
His body was very stiff and he kept making weird sounds.
I was so worried that he might have brain damage.
...
When the paramedics got there they assessed him.
Ty's heart was racing so they hooked him up to a heart monitor.
And his oxygen was low. So they gave him oxygen through his nose.
The paramedics suggested that he go to the hospital in their ambulance.
Honestly, I think they have to say that for liability reasons.
But Sean and I were so terrified that we did it.
...
Two of our neighbors saw the ambulance outside our house and came right over.
One said she'd bring us dinner and the other said she'd take our kids.
And the neighbor behind us saw our kids all up in the playhouse crying 
(because they all apparently thought Ty was dying)
and she tired to calm them down and comfort them.
We have some awesome neighbors.
...
I rode with Ty in the ambulance.
Sean stayed home to comfort the other kids and get them situated with our friend.


Ty seemed so dazed and confused the whole ride.
He wasn't screaming anymore though.





The ER doctor was so kind.
He told me that Ty had a Febrile Seizure. 
He said that they are not uncommon in babies 6 months old to kids about 6 years old.
He said that it was a result of the fever and that there should be no lasting effects.
But they wanted to monitor Ty.
We wanted to see him interacting normally.
But he fell asleep.
So I just held him and waited for him to wake up.





After he woke up he was hungry and started saying mama.
After he ate and was examined by the doctor we went home.
A few hours later he was totally normal.


That Monday we went to our pediatrician's office for a check up.
I was told that the seizure was most likely caused by the severity of the fever or the rapid rise of it.
Honestly, I don't know how high it got.
I semi recently bought a new thermometer and couldn't figure out how to use it.
I know when the paramedics got to our house it was about 102.5.
If the seizure was a result of the rapid rise of the fever,
it might have been caused in part by the rice bag.
Also, I was told that he is now more likely to have another Febrile Seizure 
in the future when he has a fever.
I was so scared when I heard that. I don't ever want to go through that experience again!
I feel so grateful that he's healthy and that we had some many people watching out for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment