We decided to drive through Manti on the way home.
On the way we stopped to find a bathroom and found Cove Fort.
We thought it would be a nice break from the drive so we took a tour with a sweet sister missionary.
I learned a lot of neat things on the tour, most of which I don't remember now.
It was set up so that traveling Saints would have a place to stay.
It was ran by President Hinckley's grandparents when Brigham Young was a prophet.
When the Hinckley's moved there, I think they had 12 children. Eventually then had 17, I think.
Sister Hinckley made something like 10 loaves of bread a day. Five pound loaves!
And about 12 pounds of butter a day.
She would often feed travelers and church leaders.
They were very resourceful. Nothing was wasted.
They'd use the fabric from the clothes and turn it into rags and other things.
They used their soap in many different ways. I wish I could remember how.
The rolling pin on top of the headboard was used to roll the lumps out of the mattress at night.
This dresser is stained in ox blood.
A bed frame stained with ox blood. Notice the rolling pin.
You can see some rope under the mattress.
They had a special tool that would tighten the rope at night.
That's where the phrase, "sleep tight" comes from.
It was a neat place to visit.

No comments:
Post a Comment